All too often, the traditional “special event” meals are those seemingly designed with carnivores in mind: roast, lobster, and above all, steak. When these meals roll onto the table, practitioners of a cruelty-free lifestyle may be left to pick at their sides, left out of the fun. No more! With help from City Roots Hospitality, every guest will feel included as they dine on options like our innovative vegan steak.
City Roots Hospitality takes our mission seriously: to help pave the way to healthier lives and a healthier planet. The experts behind our vast menu know that this is only possible through offerings of delicious, creative options that allow all diners to feel involved, inspired, and included.
To find out more about how City Roots brings inclusive catering all over the New York area, check out our main website for more information.
Vegan Steak Options with City Roots
Regardless of whether your event is a major, elegant gathering, an intimate get-together, or somewhere in-between, City Roots Hospitality is ready to serve you. Every item on our menu brings a touch of elegance and ease, perfect for your special occasion. Best of all, every option is completely vegan!
We live in an amazing world, with dozens of delectable meat substitutes to choose from. Luckily, at City Roots, you don’t have to choose!
Dazzle your guests with vegan steak served in a variety of new ways. With our full-service catering, allow them to sample grilled seitan tacos and smoked seitan skewers as they mix and mingle. Our drop-off catering service provides options like the classic seed-crusted tofu steak or lemon-crusted seitan steak.
No matter your decision, know that you are safe in any City Roots Hospitality meal. Our chefs take advantage of worldwide flavors and years of experience, pouring every ounce of their creativity and flair into each delectable bite. Every guest– cruelty-free or otherwise– is guaranteed to leave your event awed and satisfied.
Vegan Steak Recipe for Home
Curious about ways you can bring creative vegan meal options to your own family? Try this delicious and easy at-home recipe!
Before you start, get a food processor and cast-iron skillet ready to go. Don’t be turned away by the seemingly long list of ingredients! This recipe is surprisingly simple.
- 1/4 cup of raw beets
- 1/4 cup of red kidney beans
- 1 2/3 cup of wheat gluten
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of grainy mustard
- 3 teaspoons of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of veggie stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Veggie butter (optional)
- Begin preheating the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine the following ingredients: beets, kidney beans, mustard, liquid smoke, and red wine. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the diced onion and soy sauce to then blend again.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, garlic powder, and paprika, then blend a final time. At this point, your mixture should resemble a rough dough. If the dough appears too crumbly, add a drizzle of additional wine or a splash of veggie stock. Ideally, the finished product should be malleable but somewhat firm.
- Remove the dough and begin shaping it into a “steak.” This recipe should make two steaks roughly 1/2 inch thick each.
- In a small bowl, combine veggie stock and brown sugar to create a marinade.
- Place the steaks in the center of a glass baking dish. Coat both sides of the steak with olive oil.
- Brush the steaks with the marinade, then bake for roughly 25 minutes. Halfway through the baking process, flip the steaks and brush with the remaining marinade.
- Just before serving, heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and sear steaks in the vegan butter. This will provide a burst of flavor and the characteristic “char” of a traditional steak. For extra flair, garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary before serving.
City Roots Hospitality
Just because you’re committed to a more conscious lifestyle doesn’t mean you must forgo all your old favorite dishes. In fact, with a little creativity and patience, this can be the ideal opportunity to try out new recipes and stretch your skills in the kitchen.
On days when you don’t feel like cooking, turn once again to the experts at City Roots!
In between major events, feel free to stop by any restaurant within the City Roots Family. All across NYC, our restaurants are waiting and ready to serve hot, delicious vegan options. Every item throughout these menus is entirely cruelty-free, guaranteeing an inclusive dining experience anyone can enjoy!
Still curious? Feel free to contact us for a quote or any questions.