As one trend moves into another, one “food fad” seems to have become a permanent fixture: kale! Whether toasted into chips, stewed with rich veggies, or blended into a hearty veggie dip, kale universally offers big flavor and nutrition, all in a single, convenient package. Though it is often enjoyed when thoroughly cooked, raw kale tends to be a bit of a challenge. At your next gathering, make use of this vegan kale salad recipe to try your favorite veggie in a whole new way!
At City Roots Hospitality, our goal is to serve you. Whether through our outstanding catering or a delicious experience in our restaurants, we love bringing a healthy, balanced meal to your plate. With a foundation built on compassionate dining and innovative flavors, City Roots Hospitality is excited to help every guest– vegan, kosher, or otherwise– feel appreciated and welcomed.
To learn more about how City Roots Hospitality can introduce innovation and inclusivity to your next event, explore our menu options and reach out for a quote today!
Unforgettable Kale Salad Recipe
One of the biggest issues with raw kale is the texture. In its purest form, kale can be tough, chewy, and incredibly bitter. With the right treatment, however, it is surprisingly easy to turn this dark green veggie into the perfect base for your next salad.
No recipe showcases that rule quite as well as this unforgettable kale salad recipe.
By making use of plenty of citric acid, this recipe breaks down the natural bitterness of the green, helping to highlight the more subtle flavors. The natural sweetness of the apples only adds to this, with a touch of something unexpected.
This salad is more than just delicious; it is a quick way to enhance the personal touch of your next party spread. Give your guests the option of a delectable, healthy break between servings of cake or burgers. Better yet, invest in a catering service specifically designed to help ensure every guest leaves your event happy and satisfied.
Without further ado, explore the possibilities of this cheap, easy meal.
- 3 tablespoons of slivered almonds
- 2 Fuji apples
- 3 tablespoons of vegan parmesan
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 a small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Kale to taste
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- To start this recipe, prepare your veggies. Start this by washing and slicing your apples into long, thin slivers. This will allow them to better soak up the flavor of the dressing. Leave the skin on for an additional bite!
- Continue preparing the other veggies by finely dicing the red onion. Mince the garlic clove to a fine, almost pulplike mixture.
- Toast the slivered almonds. This can be done by placing them in a toaster oven, on the “broil” setting of an oven, or by sauteeing them in a pan over medium heat until they’ve reached a golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, vegan parmesan, and garlic. Use a fork to vigorously mix these ingredients together. Toss the diced onions in this dressing and allow them to soak while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Wash and dry the kale. Then, use your hands to rip the leaves into smaller pieces, removing the tough stems as you go.
- Drizzle the kale with your dressing, toss until the leaves are evenly coated, and allow the salad to sit for at least ten minutes before proceeding.
- Here comes the interesting part; using clean, dry hands, massage the leaves. Squeeze them as you go, turning them over in the acid dressing to soften them and allow the dressing to soak better into the leaves.
- Finally, sprinkle your toasted almonds and apples over the top of your salad. This dish is ready to serve!
Easy Catering with City Roots Hospitality
Looking for more healthy options for your next gathering? Look no further than the expansive options available through City Roots Hospitality! No matter your craving, our professional staff is ready to help meet it through innovative, unforgettable meal options.
Your guests will adore the chance to choose from options like:
- Cucumber roll-ups with whipped “ricotta,” capers, and dill
- “Mozzarella” Caprese finger sandwiches
- Balsamic beet skewers with shaved pistachio and vegan “feta”
- Fresh, vegan takes on sushi classics from Beyond Sushi
Whether you’re hoping for the party of the year or just a cozy get-together, City Roots takes the stress off your shoulders, allowing you more time to rest, relax, and enjoy bonding time with your guests! To learn more, explore our website or reach out for a quote today!